Campfire Treats

I’m going to go on and clear the air here. What you will see on this post has nothing to do with New Year’s resolution #1, but everything to do with New Year’s resolution #6. I will also confess that batch number one was in fact made before the end of the last decade, if that counts for anything. Meaning, prior to those crazy resolutions I made.

Either way, if you have a candy thermometer and a stand mixer, I bet you’ll have a hard time getting either of these recipes off your mind. If you are missing one of said tools, I’ll just say that it’s too bad Christmas just passed and neither were on your wishlist. Shame on you.

These little bite-size squares of heaven called marshmallows are officially my new addiction. Remember when I went on and on about how much I adore making caramel? Forget about it, just take it totally out of your mind. Marshmallows are way more fun – plus, you still get to heat up sugar until it’s oh-so-close to being caramel. And then, then, you get to take that 248-degree syrup and dump it into your stand mixer, turn it on high (high!) and watch it magically turn into smooth, silky, shiny marshmallow fluff – a fluff that is nothing short of life-changing.

This madness began back in the last decade (you know, soooooo 2009) when we decided to have a little NYE shindig. And let’s be honest, I love shindigs – especially when we’re hosting because it is the perfect excuse to make all sorts of lil’ nibblers. The little shindig turned into a Mexican Fiesta, and in addition to my insisting on making churros from scratch, (watch out, Xoco) I developed a huge, huge, hankerin’ for homemade marshmallows. And who knows why since I’d only eaten the store-bought (jet-puffed?!) ones, but when searching the world-wide-web for ideas, I found the Homesick Texan’s blog where she’d recently whipped up her own batch of marshmallows, with Mexican spices to boot. Clearly, marshmallows were born to be part of my NYE fiesta. Clearly.

Boys and girls, the fun just didn’t stop there though. Consider yourself forewarned – they truly are addictive. So, since I had another shindig to attend on Saturday, my eyes immediately wandered over to those pretty chocolate squishy squares and I knew right then and there that a Round 2 was in my (very near) future, no matter what resolution I made. They simply can’t be stopped, those marshmallows.

That being said, a recent version of Giada’s show came to mind where she’d made some cutesy orange marshmallows – done & done. Look at ’em – they are too pretty and too delicate to really contain those wicked calories, right? Right.

If truth be told, I may have to consider myself as being on somewhat of a “marshmallow kick”. But in an effort to make myself feel a tad less bad about it, I may even whip up a batch with Splenda, just to see if it works. We’ll see how that goes.

Splenda or not, you can bet the farm I’ll be having some more of these soon. Only next time, I’ll make them stick around long enough to either attend a pool party in a nice big mug of hot chocolate or get strung onto a wire hanger and roasted over the coals. Maybe even both.

Mexican Marshmallows*

Water

must-haves
candy thermometer
stand mixer

instructions
Line your baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray

In the bottom of your mixer, mix the gelatin with a 1/2 cup of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and then stir in the cocoa powder. Add to the gelatin and beat until combined.

In a large pot, mix together the sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 cup of water. Insert the candy thermometer and turn the heat onto medium low. Without stirring, let the syrup cook until it reaches 248 degrees.

Remove from heat and slowly add sugar syrup to the gelatin/chocolate mixture. Add the salt, cinnamon and ancho chile powder and mix at high speed for 10 minutes or until it’s fluffy. Add the vanilla and pour marshmallow fluff into prepared pan.

Let it set for at least four hours. Remove marshmallow slab from the pan.

Cover both sides of slab with powdered sugar. With a sharp knife, cut marshmallow into squares using scissors or a sharp knife coated in cooking spray or powdered sugar.

Orange Marshmallows*
From Giada de Laurentiis through Giada at Home

printable recipe

ingredients
3 .25 oz envelopes of unflavored gelatin
2 c sugar
1/4 c evaporated milk
1 lg orange, zested
1 t vanilla
1/2 c of powdered sugar
Water
orange decorating sugar (optional)

must-haves
candy thermometer
stand mixer

instructions
Line your baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray

In a large pot, mix together the sugar, evaporated milk, and 1/4 cup of water. Insert the candy thermometer and turn the heat onto medium low. Without stirring, let the syrup cook until it reaches 248 degrees.

Remove from heat and slowly add sugar syrup to the gelatin mixture. Mix at high speed for 10 minutes or until it’s fluffy. Add the vanilla and orange zest and pour marshmallow fluff into prepared pan.

Let it set for at least four hours. Sprinkle top with orange sugar. Remove marshmallow slab from the pan and sprinkle bottom with orange sugar.

*Contrary to some computers’ strange tints, these are NOT pink. Neither of them. Strangely enough, they are clearly white on my mac at home but do look pink on my work pc. wtf? either way, if you want them pink, just put a couple of drops of red food coloring in and it’ll do the trick!

Are you into marshmallows now, too? I’ll be making more! I’ve already tried out a couple of grapefruit recipes for the Iron Chef Battle and will soon have a listing on Etsy where I can make them for you! Let me know if you’re interested!

33 thoughts on “Campfire Treats

1. I also am a sucker for a home-made ‘mallow. I have an idea for you:

Step one: make ‘mallow
    Step two: cover ‘mallow in chocolate
    Step three: roll chocolate covered ‘mallow in graham cracker crumbs.
    Step four: consume your s’more flavored ‘mallow.

A lady sells them at our Thursday downtown street fair in the summer. Yes, of course they are delicious.

2. Casie says:

They sound wonderful!!! If I just wanted to make a regular flavored mashmallow, would I just eliminate the orange zest?

• @Luke – i won’t lie – smores has crossed my mind a thousand times. maybe I’ll make some say…. January 30th?!?!

@Casie – thanks for visiting and commenting! You’re right – you could use either recipe and remove the other ingredients. If you’re not using the chocolate or orange zest, I think Giada’s version has a slightly better marshmallow texture on it’s own, so my vote would be for that one, unless you have an aversion to evaporated milk and/or you love corn syrup! You could even add a drop or two of food coloring to make ’em fancy and colorful!

3. Stacey says:

Do you use the Orange Marshmallow recipe & just add the red foodcoloring to make them pink? Just curious or is it a separate recipe???

• @ Stacey – read the last paragraph. I just added that today for fear that people make these hoping for them to be pink! But yes, food coloring would do the trick. thanks for asking!
      @ Sari – thanks for the tip – i am so hooked that i’m making a couple of batches this weekend for an iron chef competition (two different types with grapefruit flavors!) that I will most definitely get to the peppermint flavor.

4. Dionne says:

I would love to make these!! Marshmallows have been absent from my pantry because of corn syrup (allergy to all corn products). Anyone have suggestions other than rice syrup? Anyone tried rice syrup?

• @ Dionne – use the orange marshmallow recipe as a base rather than the others you find online. hers doesn’t use corn syrup so that should take care of it for you! If you want want plain marshmallows just leave out the zest and continue as the recipe dictates! good luck 🙂

5. Hi Heather! I’m so pleased to hear that another has been converted to the wonder of homemade marshmallows! And as it’s orange season, I can’t wait to try that flavor as well. I reckon they’ll make splendid s’mores.

• @ Lisa – thanks for visiting! And yes – those orange ones would be great for smores, which I’ll be making soon. the ones i made this weekend (grapefruit) were fantastic too!!

@ Tricia – I’m sorry! i feel the same way 🙂 but the marshmallows are sooooo small…..!

6. Lynda says:

Hi Heather! I was wondering if I could reduce the quantity of the sugar in Giada’s recipe from 2 cups to just 1 cup? Would it affect the results of the recipe?

Thanks!

• @Lynda: I’m not sure about that yet. I would guess you could but it would decrease the end volume. You could add sugar-free sweeteners like agave nectar and see if that works. I’ve seen that in some recipes. I’m going to try out a recipe using splenda/sugar mix this weekend and I’ll post an update on here so check back! if you do try it let us know 🙂 – thanks!

7. Kim says:

I love the chocolate-chile-cinnamon combo — these must be heavenly! Any ideas on what I could use in place of the gelatin if I wanted to make vegan marshmallows? Does a vegetable-based unflavored gelatin exist? Or maybe agar agar (a seaweed-derived, gelatinous substance) could be used? (I’ve never used it, so if you have any usage tips, that would be great!) Also, could one use a blender to turn date sugar into something resembling powdered cane sugar?

8. @ Kim: oh yeah man – the choco mallows are super yum. Homesick Texan uses chipotle powder rather than ancho chile powder and I bet those are tasty as well!

Try this link for vegan ideas. I’ve heard that just substituing agar agar isn’t gonna do the trick but see if this post helps you.

As for the date sugar, sure! the powdered sugar is just for keeping them from sticking. You could even use 1/2 sugar, 1/2 rice flour so it isn’t as sweet, which works well.

9. Jenniemstewart@yahoo.com says:

I like the recipe on the mallows.
    I was hoping to also get the recipe for the the charros. Hope to see more items

10. Deborah says:

Happy to come across this recipe. My husband LOVES a candy called cherry mash. How great that I can make it now with cherry flavored marshmallows. Will be a while before I try it, though. Just made a batch and this is a “one a day” treat for him. Have you tried making marshmallow cream? I have favorite recipe that uses that. AND, if you have a recipe to make cherry chips, that would be awesome.

11. Ok so if I want to take the orange recipe could it be modified with say mint extract and swirling in a red food coloring for a peppermint marshmallow?
    I made some peppermint meringue that was sooo awesome and since it got crushed mailing my family used in hot chocolate so I want to try these I’m just guessing what would be the mint ratio to replace the orange zest any guesses?

12. @Jennie: I used a recipe i found on epicurious for the churros and they turned out great! It’s here – enjoy!

@ Deborah – I’ve heard of cherry mash but never tried it! The cream with cherry chips sounds fantastic though – glad your hubs like the ‘mallows :).

@katybug273: Yes!!! leave out the orange and add in about 3/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract AFTER whipping (right before putting in the pan to set). If you want red mallows, put the coloring in during whipping; if you want swirl, afterwards. let me know how it turns out – i have another recipe in mind that’s very similar!

13. BCarol says:

Hi there – a few years ago I used a recipe I saw on Martha Stewart’s show and really did enjoy them. I can’t find that recipe.. darn! .. and was wondering if you had ever tried those? They were quite tasty.

14. Colleen says:

This look yummy and I am already wondering how I can make them from Organic ingredients!

Please, please, please do not make them with Splenda! I do not want to jump on a soapbox, but you donot want those chemicals in your body or anyone else’s you seve them to.

Here’s to your health! Thanks for the recipe!

15. @ BCarol: there are hundreds of ‘mallow recipes out there. these were the first two i tried, and since then I’ve stuck more to using ~2c sugar and 2/3c corn syrup (with same amounts of gelatin, water,salt, vanilla as above). I haven’t tried Martha’s, but I’m sure hers are great too!

16. Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched all over the place and just could not come across. What an ideal web site.

17. Les études de niveau I ont été retenues de préférence
    mais, parce que les interventions concernant le régime et l’exercice présentent des difficultés sur le plan du double insu et
    de l’observance, les études de niveau II ont été jugées
    acceptables ( Tableau 1 ).